Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nerd Alert

I say "Nerd Alert" as an endearing comment:)  Chris the last couple of years has become an avid reader, reading on his way to and from work (when it's not his turn to drive:) and every night before he goes to sleep.  Every time I see him reading, I do call him a nerd (with love:), but the truth is I envy him.  I wish I was a reader.  Ever since I was little I have associated reading as work... I had to read books for book reports, study textbooks and articles in college for presentations and papers, etc.  Even when I try to read a book for enjoyment and actually like the book, I find myself counting down the number of pages left before the chapter is over.  Because then, I can feel like I have read enough yet still be done with it for the day.  My philosophy has always been, "If there is a movie about it, let's watch the movie!!"

Well, Mitchell loves books.  He's currently reading at a 5th grade level.  Haha, ok, maybe not.  Even though he can't read yet, he loves looking at the pictures and loves turning the pages himself.  I love this and want to encourage this for the rest of his life.  Because they say readers are smart:)  So, since children learn best by example, I'm trying to change my ways.  So, are you ready for this?  I joined a book club.  Say what?!!

Last month was my first meeting with the club, and beyond encouraging me to read, I love the friendships I'm making with some great gals.  It is still a challenge to get me excited about reading, but I'm trying.  I went to our local library and checked out this month's book, and well... it's not going great:)  Haha, I have only read the first chapter so far (in 2 weeks), but I'm starting to pick up the pace.  Baby steps right?


This month's book.

Trip to the library.  Mitchell enjoyed the pond.  Well, when he wasn't browsing the reference and journal sections:)
 
Skylight at the library.  Mitchell could not take his eyes off of it.  Our local library is a really pretty library, we enjoyed it.

After his breakfast, we have reading time.  Mitchell loves it!!

The end, all done:)




No comments:

Post a Comment