Monday, September 9, 2013

EBR - Experimental Breeder Reactor

Gpa and Gma Koch (Opa and Oma to Mitchell) at EBR-I

One of the first sites Chris and I visited when I arrived in Idaho was the EBR-I (Experimental Breeder Reactor).  It was the very first nuclear power plant to produce electricity IN THE WORLD!!  Prior to this significant moment, people only associated nuclear power with nuclear bombs.  But, as cool as this was, it was not the main reason this reactor was built.  It was built to try and prove a theory that a nuclear reactor could produce more fuel than it consumed... Say what?!  That's a pretty awesome concept, that a fuel could not only be consumed to generate power, but at the same time breed more of a fuel (hence the name "Experimental Breeder Reactor").  That would be like a coal plant not only burning coal to make electricity, but at the same time it would also produce more coal.  It was a top secret experiment the U.S. started working on in 1951, and a huge moment in history.  Since Chris has done everything "nuclear" these last few years at school and now at his job, it was only fitting that this was one of the first places we visited.  And when Opa and Oma came to visit it was a fun place to take them to see as well.  

File:First four nuclear lit bulbs.jpeg
(Original Picture)
The first production of usable nuclear electricity occurred on December 20, 1951,
                              when four light bulbs were lit with electricity generated from the EBR-1 reactor.
                              
Mitchell working the controls at the reactor.  I think he may just
follow in his daddy's footsteps.
An old containment box used to handle radiated samples.
Oops, looks like Chris may have just been exposed:)
Oma using the mechanical arms to pick up and move some small blocks.
Back in the day workers would use these to handle radiated samples
behind about 32 inches of protective glass.
Opa giving it a try.  Check out those skills!
EBR-II was what replaced EBR-I in 1965, and was proven safe again and again.
So, to all you "Negative Nellies" out there against nuclear power, just
give it a rest already!!  This family is definitely pro-nuclear:)
Also on display at the museum were two aircraft nuclear propulsion engines.  Or,
I guess I should say "Failed" nuclear engines.  The problems with these were first
of all, their huge size (look at their size compared to the small building in between them
with the normal sized, brown door), and second, they couldn't stop them from spreading
radioactive waste along the path of their entire flight.  John F. Kennedy eventually
ended the program for good in 1961, saying, "15 years and about $1 billion have been
devoted to the attempted development of a nuclear-powered aircraft; but the
possibility of achieving a militarily useful aircraft in the foreseeable future is still
very remote."  Maybe he didn't like the idea of spraying radioactive waste everywhere:)

No comments:

Post a Comment