Well, I guess we can check that off of our parenting list... our child's first major medical procedure. Last year, Mitchell was congested pretty much the entire year. Even without an active cold, the poor kid was constantly clogged up. We tried different allergy medications, nasal sprays, steroids, etc. and nothing seemed to fully get rid of his congestion. At least it didn't stop him in life; the kid was as active as ever. Sadly, I think that had just become his norm and he was too young to remember a time when he wasn't congested, so he didn't realize it didn't have to be that way. Finally, we got in to see an ENT and officially found out what the problem was: HUGE adenoids. Apparently, it didn't matter how much medicine he took, there was no way of getting around the blockage those bad boys were causing him. So, after some discussions with his doctor and careful consideration, we decided the best option was to have them surgically removed. Eeeeefff!! It was a scary thought sending our four year old into his first surgery, not knowing for sure how his body would react to being under anesthesia. But he did great! And now he can finally breath through his nose, yay! And hopefully this is the last major medical procedure any of our kids will ever have to go through (that's possible, right? ;)
 |
| A quick visual, in case anyone didn't know anything about adenoids. Mitchell's were so big they were completely blocking his nasal pathway. |
 |
| Just relaxing, getting ready for surgery. Leading up to his surgery we tried to prepare him for getting a "shot" (IV) so he wouldn't be so scared of it. But then come to find out, they give kids gas and to put them to sleep before they put in the IV. That is genius! I wish they could do that for adults! So, he had no idea that he even got an IV. |
 |
| They had a TV on in the room showing cartoons, and it was hard to get him to look away from it (I guess it was definitely doing its job as a distraction from the surgery). After I told him I needed him to take just one more picture, he turned and gave me this pose. Haha, when he wants to he knows how to look like a perfect little angel:) |
 |
| Alright, the final touch (hospital cap) has been applied and it is surgery time! It's kind of endearing to see his sweet, innocent smile here, as he really has no idea what's about to happen. It was a comfort to know he wasn't scared, because he didn't know that he should be. Hold onto that innocence as long as you can sweet boy! |
 |
After surgery was a different story. There was a bit of kicking, crying, confusion, disorientation mess going on with him (the nurses told me it was all a very normal and expected reactions from kids when they come out of anesthesia). His throat was understandably sore, so the nurses gave him a popsicle for some relief. That seemed to distract and calm him down for a bit.
Also, he was upset that he never got a "shot" because he thought he had to have that for the surgery to happen. So, he kept saying, "Mommy, I didn't get a shot! They can't do the surgery because I have no shot! The bubblegum put me to sleep, not the shot! I only had bubblegum!" (I guess the gas they gave him smelled like bubblegum, lol!). The only way I could calm him down was to make him look at the bandaid on his hand from where they took out his IV and tell him he definitely got a "shot." He was a little confused, but he accepted that evidence. Haha! |
 |
Awe, even post surgery with a purple stained mouth he is still the cutest:)
Ok, confession time: I know this day should have been all about Mitchell and I should have been the strong mom for him to rely on, but... I MIGHT have gotten woosie when I saw his IV, and I MIGHT have had to sit down and hold Mitchell's hand from afar because I thought I might faint, and a nurse MIGHT have had to attend to me for a little bit instead of Mitchell as she brought me juice and water and a cold, wet wash cloth. Ugh, I felt kind of guilty. I'm not built for this stuff y'all!! Don't worry, it wasn't too long and I was back to comforting Mitchell and making it all about him:) |
No comments:
Post a Comment