Friday, November 11, 2016

Parking it at the Park

Mitchell LOVES going to the park to play.  I mean, what kid doesn't, right?  We don't have any playgrounds near our condo (But, we have the beach, so it's a good trade off:) so I decided to explore the different parks that San Diego has to offer.  Some are pretty basic: they offer a slide and a pole to slide down.  And others are pretty elaborate and awesome.  Mitchell's favorite thing is definitely a slide.  He can go down a slide over and over and over and over and over and over (are you getting the point yet?) and over again.  In fact, to prepare him for when it's time to leave the park (you have to prepare him or there will be a full toddler tantrum meltdown), I have to let him know he "can only go down the slide two more times."  He usually agrees to that.  Well, sometimes anyway:)  Haha, actually, I think Mitchell is starting to wise up to this strategy.  Last weekend we all went to the zoo, and they have a little playground that the kids can play on.  We stopped there for about 30 minutes to let Mitchell play and get some of his energy out.  Well, you guessed it... all he basically did was go down the slide over and over and over again.  It was basically the only thing Mitchell played with.  When we decided it was time to leave and go look at some animals, we tried our true-blue trick:  "Mitchell, you can go down the slide two more times and then it is time to go.  Ok?  Do you understand?"  We got a "Yes" from him and off he ran back to the playground.  But guess who completely skipped the slide?!  Mitchell all of a sudden decided he wanted to climb up the tower, go across the rope bridge, slide down the pole, etc.  All of this fun equipment he had previously ignored was all of sudden the only things he wanted to play on.  After a few minutes, Chris and I just looked at each other and asked, "Did we just get outsmarted by our three year old?  He figured that if he just never went down the slide those two more times that he could just keep playing forever?"  Lol!  All we could do was laugh.  Well played kid.  Points for Mitchell = 1, parents = 0.


Going down his favorite, the slide.

Enjoying his first ride on the swings.

And why play at the park when you can watch ants on the park bench instead?  Lol!  (Gotta love little boys:)

Sometimes we play in the trees next to the park as well:)

Our favorite park was this downtown park right on the water front.  It had fountains to splash in, the ultimate slide, and everything under the sun to climb on.  Mitchell was in heaven!

I mean, this park is by a "pirate ship."  It doesn't get much cooler than that!

I told him this was Spiderman's web.  I don't know if he bought it.  Lol!

The ultimate slide!

I told Mitchell to stop playing for just a minute to take a picture with his brother.  He wasn't too thrilled about it.  Lol!

This is the best way to cool off in the city.

Splash city!

His squeals of excitement make me so happy:)


He asked if he could climb "the ladder."  I thought, "Sure, why not?  Go for it kid."  He almost changed his mind at the start, but then he climbed up it like a champ.


He tried his best to distract me from trying to get him to leave, but in the end I prevailed:)


Climbing up this hill is a lot of work for such a quick ride down the slide.  But this kid never stopped, and he was determined to get up this hill every time:)


He starts out fairly dry, but notice his soaking wet hair and shirt by the end.  He had a total blast!


Mitchell found out that going down a slide when you are dry is a lot different than when you are wet.  Haha, but he never cried and never stopped.  He is one tough kid!





No comments:

Post a Comment