Monday, November 25, 2013

So Thankful Still Continued...

NOVEMBER 19TH:

 

We are thankful for sports.  Chris and I are not crazy sports' fans who would pay $300 for tickets to a game or sit in -10 degree weather to watch a game, but we have really come to appreciate the fun-ness of sports more this year.  Why?  Because now we have T'.V.  When we lived in Rolla we did not have any T.V.  We downloaded shows we wanted to watch, but had to wait for them to come available, so watching sports was not really an option.  But since we have been in Idaho and have T.V. we have really enjoyed being able to see some games.  I was pretty athletic as a kid and played a bunch of different sports (softball, soccer, swimming, basketball, etc.).  That is actually something I miss in my adulthood; I wish I would have stuck to playing more.  But moving on... what makes sports so fun are the excitement they bring, the competitiveness (which, according to Chris, I have a "healthy" amount of, haha), the way they bring people together, and how they give you something to hope and root for.  I know it may sound like I am fantasying them a bit, but really they are just so much fun.  I am especially proud of my home teams back in MO, the Cardinals (who made it to the World Series) and Chiefs (who have only lost one game all year).  It makes it exciting to come home and watch "the game."  Playing a sport is something I really want to encourage Mitchell to do as he gets older.  I think sports are a great way for kids to learn about teamwork, winning and losing (and being gracious in both), to build self-esteem, and it is great exercise.  Haha, and if Mitchell ends up being tall like his father, then maybe it will also be a good way for him to get a scholarship to school someday:)

Watch this video, listen to the crowds roar, and tell me this didn't get your heart pumping and excited:





NOVEMBER 20TH:
We are thankful for our trials.  Say what?!!  I know to a lot of people that can seem like a really strange thing to be thankful for.  Now... remember I just said we were THANKFUL for our trials, not that we LIKED them.  We are just grateful for the lessons and experiences they give us, which allow us to grow and become better people.  I think the number one thing you should ask yourself in any trial is:  What can I learn from this?  And the very next question should be:  How can I apply this lesson to my life to stop this trial from happening again?

God sends us trials, or at least allows us to go through trials, to help refine us.  Elder Orson F. Whitney said, "No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. ...All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. ...It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here [to earth] to acquire."

Chris and I have been through our fair share of trials since we have been married, but nothing that we feel is lingering or "broke" us.  We have tried our best to be humble, learn from our trials, stay supportive of each other, not pass blame, serve each other, and stay thankful for our blessings despite any troubles.  I am not saying we are perfect when facing our trials; we have definitely had our fair share of "Woes me" moments and feeling mad, sad, stressed, and frustrated.  But, we have grown and learned through our experiences and we are better people and a better couple because of our trials.

Here is a excerpt from an address Marvin J. Ashton gave in 1980:
From Harry Emerson Fosdick we read, “The most extraordinary thing about the oyster is this. Irritations get into his shell. He does not like them. But when he cannot get rid of them, he uses the irritation to do the loveliest thing an oyster ever has a chance to do. If there are irritations in our lives today, there is only one prescription: make a pearl. It may have to be a pearl of patience, but, anyhow, make a pearl. And it takes faith and love to do it.” (In The Treasure Chest, ed. Charles L. Wallis, New York: Harper & Row).
Those who yield to adversity become weaker. To the valiant it is a stepping-stone to increased power. God-fearing people worldwide will not pray for freedom from trials. They will not surrender or panic. They will strive to put themselves in condition to meet and master troublesome trials. 
Usually there are no easy answers to most of our problems. Each individual must think, plan, work, and pray to find the help he needs and the courage he must have to conquer his problem or carry his cross—whatever his lot may be. 

I think one of the hardest things our parents had to do was "let" us make mistakes.  My parents offered a lot of advice and help when I needed it; but as I was older, I know there were times when my parents could have stepped in and made a problem go away but they did not.  Usually their answer was, "figure it out."  They did this not because they did not care, but because they did.  They knew the lessons I would learn from my trials would be for my benefit.  Looking back, Chris and I are thankful our parents did that and hope we can apply those lessons, and anymore future lessons from trials, to our lives to make them better.



NOVEMBER 21ST:



         
We are thankful for the 2nd Amendment.  I know gun rights can be a touchy subject for a lot of people.  But, ultimately, all the data backs up that places with looser gun laws have less crime.  It is as simple as this:  if you were a criminal getting ready to rob someone's house, would you rob a house with a owner who you know has guns in the home, or rob a house with a owner who you know does not own a gun?  Go for the easier house, right?  And, we also do not buy the thought that if there were stricter gun laws that criminals would have not have access to guns.  When have you known criminals to do things the legal way?  All strict gun laws hurt are honest citizens who want to use guns responsibly.  Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)


Ok, ok, ok... I'm officially off my soapbox.  I personally am not the hugest fan of shooting guns.  And by that I mean, I really have no desire to go out and shoot them.  I have before, and I have had fun, but I would rather do a lot of other things than go shoot a gun.  But, I love that Chris likes to go shooting.  One, because it makes me feel safe.  I like knowing that Chris knows how to responsibly use a gun to better protect our family (the reason I did go shooting was to familiarize myself with guns in case I ever had to use them for protection).  Two, I like that Chris likes to go hunting.  It is great as a hobby for him as well as a way to provide food for our family if ever needed.  And three, it is our right as citizens to own guns to protect ourselves from criminals as well as our government if ever needed in the future (the main reason the 2nd amendment was included in the Constitution).  Long story short... I, myself, do not particularly have an interest in shooting, but I love and support Chris's (and anyone else's) desire and right to do so.

Chris shooting with his dad.



NOVEMBER 22ND:
We are thankful my sister and her family came to visit us!!  My sister, Nicole, and her family came to visit us this weekend on their way to her husband's family's for Thanksgiving.  We love having visitors in our new home and love spending time with family.  The men are going shooting tomorrow (perfect timing since I just posted the "2nd Amendment" post above), and us women are going to slave away in the kitchen to celebrate an early Thanksgiving.  And I am extra excited to have my sister Nicole here to help with the meal, because she has a great talent for cooking and baking.  I have never made a turkey before, and would probably not attempt to do so without her here... but she boosts my confidence (haha, or at least makes me feel safe that if I were to screw something up with the meal that she would be there to catch and correct it).  I am also really excited for Mitchell to spend time with some of his cousins (Nicole has three boys).  I know he is still young and doesn't really know what is going on, but I want him to grow up close to his family.

Mitchell with his cousins Colton, Rhett, and Rylan (from left to right).





NOVEMBER 23RD:


Disclaimer:  I know it may look like it, because I am so talented,
but this is not the meal my sister and I made today.

We are thankful for our food.  In this Thanksgiving season when big meals are the common theme most families gather around, we cannot go without saying how thankful we are for our substance.  We know the U.S. gets a bad reputation for having an issue with obesity and waste, and obviously we do not support being wasteful; but, overall, we are really lucky to live in the U.S. and have all the options we have for food.  Many other people around the world are starving, have no clean food or water, and have no idea when their next meal will be.  It is something we do not like to think about because it is sad, but it is something we should reflect on so we can remember to not be wasteful, and to be extra grateful for everything we have.  We had our Thanksgiving meal today with my sister and her family (we ended up roasting a chicken instead of a turkey because a turkey would have been too much for just our two families [see, we're trying not to be wasteful]... and by "we" I mean Nicole.  Haha, but I did watch and learn).  It was a great meal and a great feeling to be able to sit around a table with family to eat, talk, and laugh.  We are truly blessed.

Speaking of food, here is a video of Mitchell "enjoying" his very first taste of food beyond breast milk.  The video was too big to post, so it is divided into two videos (but this is the same feeding).  And sorry about the shaking... Chris was filming and that was when he was laughing.:


                                                     





NOVEMBER 24TH:
We are thankful for surprises.  Ok, we know "surprises" could go either way, good or bad.  But for this post we are not talking about the negative surprises like, "SURPRISE... someone stole your identity."  No, we are talking about the fun surprises life brings.  The ones which others think out for you.  It really is something special to know that someone else cares enough about you to think out and plan a surprise for you.  It can be a big surprise, like a party, or something little and sweet, like your husband buying you flowers "just because" (which I just realized Chris did a lot more when we were dating... Hmm, I'm going to have to have a talk with him:)).  It is usually hard for me to keep my mouth shut about a surprise, because I'm so excited for that person and want to immediately make him/her happy.  Haha, I'm usually the worst around birthdays or Christmas for Chris... as soon as I get his gift I get so excited and I'm like, "You want to open it now?!!"  Even if Christmas is a month out.  I'm getting better though.

Well, this post is dedicated to Chris's grandparents who celebrated their 50th anniversary this weekend.  And, a big surprise party was held in their honor.  Because it was held in Missouri, Chris and I were not able to attend, which was a real bummer.  We really wanted to go, but we were there in spirit:)  This party has been in the works since this spring (kudos to everyone who helped plan and put it together!!), and part of their gift from the family was to take family photos, of the grandkids and great-grandkids.  We took these photos in May and June before Chris and I left for Idaho, so we had to stay quiet about the whole thing until November!!  I can't believe no one slipped up, especially me.  Because there were times talking to them where we would ask them what they were doing for their anniversary and act nonchalant, but the whole time we knew a great party was in the works for them.  We heard the party was a great time; they were surprised with family coming up from Mississippi, their brothers and sister, dinner, cake, pictures, etc.  Once we get some party pictures sent to us I will update this post with them.  Happy Anniversary Opa and Oma!!  I bet you can agree with us that surprises are the best!!

***UPDATE***
Here are some pictures from their surprise, 50th wedding anniversary party:




SURPRISE!!




NOVEMBER 25TH:
We are thankful for puppy dogs:)  They are just so fun and lovable.  Chris and I really really want a puppy.  The only reason we have not gotten one up to this point in our lives is because we have chosen to be responsible within our limitations.  Before we moved to Idaho we did not have the room for a dog.  We only lived in tiny, tiny apartments and we had no yard.  Plus, we did not have money for a dog.  Vet bills, grooming, food, etc. really can add up.  And, we did not have the time.  Chris and I both were gone all day at school and work, so it would have been unfair to a dog to neglect it all day.  We kept telling ourselves that we would get a puppy whenever we bought our first home and had the space, when Chris graduated and got a job so we had the money, and when our schedules would lighten up so we could dedicate the proper time to a pet.  Well... all those things have happened now.  So, we are announcing on our blog, our new puppy dog!!!!!!!!  Meet Jax:


Isn't he so cute?!!

Ok, ok... just kidding!!  We did not get a puppy... yet.  GOTCHA!!  We really do want a puppy, but the timing and finances are still not right.  We do have our own place and the space for a puppy, but we are a little cash poor right now so we do not want the financial responsibility yet.  And Mitchell is still really young, and we want to wait until he is a bit older.  Our puppy fever was curbed a little when we had a baby, but it did not disappear.  Believe it, one day this Swisher household will have a cute, adorable puppy.

1 comment:

  1. Just saw the first video of Mitchell eating from his spoon so precious and I must say I love the bib he is wearing for one of his first of many yummy meals to come. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete